How to set up your site in Macromedia Dreamweaver
eXadev Internet Group provides free FTP access to all of our hosting customers. If we host your website and you are having trouble connecting via FTP, please review the troubleshooting guide below for help. Simply choose which method or application you are using to expand or collapse the instructions.
(Versions MX and later)
How to use Microsoft Internet Explorer for FTP
- Open Macromedia Dreamweaver.
- In the Files menu on the right-hand side of your Dreamweaver window, use the first drop-down menu and choose Manage Sites. This should be the last option in the menu. (If you do not see the Files menu, press F8 and it should appear.)
- In the box that appears, choose New... then Site.
- Another box will appear, go to the Advanced tab, and fill out the information as follows for the Local Info category:
Site name: This is how your site will be listed in the drop-down menu. For example, if your website address is www.exadev.com, you could call your site "eXadev Site".
folder: Click the folder icon to browse your computer to locate the files for your website on your local machine. This folder should contain all of your .html and image files that will be viewed on your site.
Default images folder: If you have an images folder, you can browse your computer for this as well, but it is not necessary for the setup process.
You can leave the rest of the items as-is, with the default information listed. Click here for an example screenshot.
- Choose Remote Info from the Category list on the left, and enter your information as follows:
From the Access dropdown menu, choose FTP. More options should then appear.
FTP host: Enter your domain name or IP address here in the following formats:
*If you have recently registered your domain name or recently changed your nameservers, it can take 24-48 hours for your domain name to resolve correctly. You will still be able to utilize FTP, but you will have to use the IP address.
Click here to contact eXadev Internet Group for assistance.
Host directory: html
Login: Enter your FTP username, as provided by eXadev Internet Group.
Password: Enter your FTP password as assigned by eXadev Internet Group. Please note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Leave the rest of the information as-is, your screen should look something like this screenshot.
- Click OK to save your settings, then click Done to close the Manage Sites window, and you are all set up.
- Use the and arrows to put/get files to/from your site.
- For further assistance using Dreamweaver, please reference the Dreamweaver Help file included with your software, or consult the following sites:
Dreamweaver Support Forums
I am using another FTP program
- Open your browser window, type your FTP address into the address bar and press Enter or click Go. Your FTP address should be entered in the following format:
-or, if you know your IP address-
- When prompted, e nter your username and password as provided by eXadev Internet Group. Both are case-sensitive, so make sure that your Caps Lock key is not turned on. For the security of your site, eXadev does not allow Anonymous connections.
- Once logged in, you should see two folders, html and logs. Double-click the html folder to open it; this is where all of the files for your website are located.
- Drag and drop files to/from your Desktop or another folder on your computer as needed to update your site. Please be sure to backup any files before overwriting them on the server.
- Once you are finished, close your Internet Explorer browser window.
Please consult the help file in your software documentation for setup instructions. Verify that your username and password are correct and that you are not attempting to connect using Passive FTP.
For a list of FTP programs and reviews, try download.com.
If you need further assistance, please contact eXadev Internet Group.
Troubleshooting your FTP Connection
(Microsoft Internet Explorer)
Verify that you have a working internet connection. Open your browser and try to visit a site such as Google or MSN .
If you are not able to connect to these sites, your internet is probably down, and you will need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to restore your connection.
- Make sure that you have entered your address, username and password correctly. Passwords are case-sensitive, so please be sure that your Caps Lock key is not turned on.
- Verify that you are not using Passive FTP. To do this, open your Internet Explorer browser window and go to Tools>Internet Options at the top of your screen. Go to the Advanced tab, scroll down and make sure your settings are as shown in this screenshot.
Please be aware that sometimes updating your Windows operating system, browser or Office software can reset this option, so even though you may have disabled Passive FTP before, it may be necessary to do it again.
- Once you have disabled Passive FTP, click OK, and close your browser window.
- Open a new browser window and try to connect again.
- If you are still experiencing difficulty, click here to contact eXadev Internet Group for assistance.